Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Days Goal Was Accomplished!

Five down and more than several left to go before the week is done.....Five is the number of Little League World Series games that were played today, and since it was realllllly hot outside in my part of Texas, I made it a point , NO...I made it a goal to watch all of them.

It's always nice when one sets a goal and reaches it...in fact this is probably one of the few I've ever completed, but then again I had incentive working on my side...Mow, or watch games, wash truck, or watch games, give Buddy The Big Dog a bath, or watch games...hmm I think I will watch me some baseball!

With this plan in mind, and with the first game starting at 11am, I got settled in my recliner for a grand  day of watching the kids play, and listening to Orel, Nomar, and Bobby(for those that don't know, they are ex major league players/coach) give their insightful comments about the teams, kids, parents, what they had for lunch, what their nicknames are, what their favorite this or that is.....Lord, I'm full of all this trivial information now, and don't know what to do with it....if only I had three other people around  I would be a star in a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Now I do have to admit I might have dosed off every now, and then during a game...well actually during each game, but since I didn't have a vested interest in the outcome I didn't think anyone would really care. Nomar, and the other color commentators were to busy passing along all the pertinent information on the teams kids and anything else they can think of to kill air time, plus doing the play-by-play, so they never even noticed  I wasn't paying attention.

I enjoy watching the kids play the sport....not doing it for the mega bucks the pros are paid, but for the thrill, and enjoyment of the game itself.  The excitement they show is very genuine, real, and contagious to those of us that were awake long enough to watch, and even though I had no dog in the fight, I would pick out a certain player/players, and give them few helpful tips while sitting in my recliner...not that it helped them, because I don't think the electronic bunch from Mensa, has come up with a way for me to communicate through the television yet (I'm sure at some point this will become a reality), but because it brings back memories from when my son played, and of course good Old Dad always had some sort of comment, tip or constructive critisism for him.

Even though I didn't really care who won, or lost today......tomorrow will be another story. The boys from Texas play, so yes my eyes will be glued to the boob tube, and as any "True Texan" would do, I will be rooting for the kids from Pearland Tx. to put a big whooping on whoever they are paired against.

So tomorrow I will put my game face on, get situated in my recliner prior to game time, and be prepared to hand out all sorts of advice to the tv, about what the team needs to do, or not do in order to win this next game (that's a lot of responsibility for one old guy), and besides, I figure that talking to the tv in some ways would be like talking to my son. Neither one listened to me anyway, but not to worry, I will still be there handing out advice...cause that's what I do best!

No comments:

Post a Comment