Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mondays and the Government...Ya Gotta Love Em!!!

I'm a procrastinator...yup, in every sense of the word.  I don't have a clue as to why I'm like that, but I will freely admit it...and it must be true because my family seems to remind me of this terrible trait...but I say "Big Deal" its who I am...it makes me unique...and oh by the way I'm also full of Bull too, just ask any member of said family, or friends.

The above paragraph was just a set up for how my Monday went .....I got up knowing that I needed to go to the social security office to straighten out a mistake "They had made"...understand this here and now I Don't Make Mistakes, (it's just a gift I have I guess), so I know it had to be theirs!

Let's roll time back a couple of years to really get the whole story....I was going to join the masses that filed their income tax online, so I got on the IRS website, read all the instructions, went to the appropriate site, did my taxes, and all the time I'm thinking why the hell didn't I do this before, this is pretty easy....Wrongggggggg...with a capital W!!!!

Once I hit the submit button, I got the dreaded error message that I couldn't do this online.... as I read that little statement, I could feel myself getting a little mad....NO, actually I was getting a lot pissed!...So I took action, and called the number given to access one of the helpful agents(of course I'm saying that with all the sarcasm I can muster) to find out what the problem was.

After holding, an holding, and holding...well you get the picture, an agent finally answered and greeted me, asking for my personal information so she could pull up my account.  I gave her all she needed to know, told her I was trying to fill out my taxes online, and of course I had no luck because HER system had something against me!...I know it's not actually her system, but I'm trying to get her to take ownership in her employers way of messing with us poor taxpayers.

Well of course she puts me on hold, and all the time I'm thinking ....NO lady don't do that, I will only lose the phone connection, and will have to start this process all over again....luckily we stayed connected and she came back, to explain to me that the date of birth I had put on my online filing was WRONG!....Wrong my butt lady...I know when the hell I was born....was the immediate thought that went through my head, but luckily not out of my mouth.  I calmly ask her the date she had on my records, and she gave me the date, which come to find out was inverted from my actual date of birth...so their showing I was born on the 31st, and I was actually born on the 13th......

Ok problem solved right? I just have to tell her that she needs to switch the one and the three and we are good to go....I can file and get my refund in a timely manner....Of course that was a delusional idea on my part.  She's starts telling me that somewhere along the way I must have made a mistake in writing down my birth date when filling out my application for my SS card (my blood is boiling at this point), to which I respond....NO maam! I don't think so(remember folks, I don't make mistakes), and point out to her, that could possibly, in her wildest imagination,  believe the mistake could have been made when they went to a computerized system, and was transferring my information....Silence hits the phone line at this point, and then I hear...Oh maybe your right.  Thanks lady, I know I'm right, just ask my kids!

So what do I need to correct this problem, if we can't do it by phone, was my next question....to which she responded that I need to go to the nearest social security office, bring at least two forms of identification with my correct date of birth......and that I needed to do it right away!....UH huh, I will get right on that...was my first thought. Y'all screwed up and I'm suppose to jump through a hoop...ain't happening!   Well here it is two years later, and of course its obvious I didn't follow her advice(I admit to having a problem with being told what to do!), because I'm now just making my way down to city hall to get a copy of my birth certificate to take as proof, along with my drivers license, to show these experts that... I KNOW WHEN I WAS BORN.

Since I'm getting ready to turn 62 in a few months I needed to get this straight, and didn't want it to hold up receiving my monthly retirement check.

So now back to how my visit went yesterday....

I got my birth certificate(only cost 23.00) with the official seal... got to have the official one, and I'm out the money...The SS office is located in another town about fifteen miles away....so add gas cost to my out of pocket expense, to straighten out THEIR MISTAKE!

I get to their office, and prior to going inside, I'm greeted by a little old lady, standing outside the door looking down at a doll that resembles a leprechaun, and it's tied to the front of one of those little scooters that people use that have a hard time walking around... well the lady is holding a heated conversation with this doll...yes I'm at the right place was my first though...I know it has to be because they must have driven this poor old woman to such a frantic state that she needed to vent on the leprechaun, instead of smacking the dog out of one of the employees.

After carefully maneuvering around the old lady (I didn't want to distract her in mid conversation), I make my way inside, to a small reception area loaded to the max with others waiting to get satisfaction from our retirement system.  I get handed a number, and told to just have a seat that they would be with me shortly.........Shortly! Evidently this guy that not only doubles as number hander outer, but also security, hasn't opened his eyes long enough to see the hoard of others that I'm going to have to wait behind before my turn comes up.

Finally my number gets called...and actually the wait wasn't too bad...I get up from my seat, and head over to one of the windows, like all the other cattle have done...I explain my situation, and start to present my documentation, only to be stopped in mid sentence..."Sir, go back and wait, someone will call your name and you can go back and they will take care of this for you"...Ok no problem, but why the hell did I have to lose my previous seat to talk to you, just to be told YOU can't help!...God I love the way our Government works.

A door leading into the back offices opens and I hear my name called...finally justice will be served, and I will get this straight....and actually it was.  The young lady that helped me was very nice, and got my situation straighten out,(they actually know when I was born) at least I was told it was....I haven't logged on yet to their system to see....but I'm taking her word for it .....I mean would a person representing our government lie to me?...Dang that last comment almost made me laugh at myself .

When I left I felt some satisfaction that I had got my problem solved, and that I did it on my own terms, and not theirs...although their mistake did cost me out of pocket money...but hey at least it wasn't as much as other mistakes they've made that cost us taxpayers billions, plus the little old lady that was venting on the doll had evidently gotten satisfaction too, since she was gone by the time I left....but you know come to think of it so was the leprechaun doll...hmm I'm thinking she may have taken it hostage!

1 comment: